How A Family Law Attorney Can Help

What Should You Do If You Face Gender Discrimination?

United States law prohibits employers from discriminating against employees on the basis of sex. In some states, gender expression is also protected. Unfortunately, employers may sometimes break the law with discriminatory practices. Here are four things you should do if you feel you've been discriminated against on the basis of gender:

1. Get in touch with gender discrimination law services.

If you feel your employer or coworker has discriminated against you because of your sex, gender identification, or gender expression, you should find a law service that specializes in this area of law. The exact protections you're entitled to will vary by state, and a lawyer will help you understand the laws that govern your state. A legal service will listen to your story and decide whether or not they believe you have a strong case for discrimination.

2. Collect evidence.

Gender discrimination can be difficult to prove because much of the evidence could also be coincidental. Your attorney will assist you in collecting evidence that can help make your case. You should forward any discriminatory emails, text messages, or voicemails sent by your employer to your attorney. If you lack a direct admission of gender discrimination, your attorney may collect other types of evidence; for instance, discrimination can be proved if it's evident that you are paid less than a similarly qualified coworker of a different gender.

3. Discuss your options.

Your gender discrimination attorney will discuss your options with you. If you want to pursue your case, you'll first need to contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in order to file a complaint. This commission will investigate the claims you're making against your employer. In some cases, the EEOC decides not to pursue certain investigations; the EEOC is a federal commission, which means it may not handle cases of gender discrimination. You can still decide to take legal action on your own, even if this is the case.

4. File a lawsuit.

You may file a lawsuit against your employer if your gender discrimination case is not addressed to your satisfaction. Your employer might decide to settle out of court, which is the simplest way to resolve the lawsuit for all parties involved. If your employer does not agree to settle or if the settlement amount is unfavorable, you can choose to bring the case to court. This type of civil suit will be brought before a judge without a jury present. Your gender discrimination attorney will represent you in court. They will lay out the evidence and present your case clearly, using the expertise they've gained through trying many of these cases in the past.

Contact local gender discrimination law services to learn more.