How A Family Law Attorney Can Help

Don't Let Restricted Access Limit Your Involvement In Your Child's Life

Family courts sometimes feel the need to restrict a divorced parent's access to their children. This may happen, for example, if you have issues, such as drug addiction or anger management, which endanger the child's wellbeing. However, this doesn't mean you should shirk your parental responsibilities. Here are four ways you can still be in your child's life:

Maximize the Use of the Limited Time

As long as the court hasn't terminated your parental rights, you will have some (limited) access to the children. It's in both of your interests to use this time carefully. Be there whenever the court allows you to and work to improve or maintain your relationship with the child, whichever is necessary.

Your primary responsibility is to look out for the welfare of the child, and not to get back at whoever limited your access. Therefore, even if you aren't allowed overnight visitations and shortened your daytime visits, make full use of the daytime visits.

Explore Other Means of Interaction

Just because you can't be there physically doesn't mean you can't be there in other ways. As long as the court allows you to, there are other ways of interacting with your child. For example, you can make phone calls, send cards, and send gifts and such like things. Again, remember not to cross the line of restrictions as ordered by the court.

Don't Forget the Special Occasions

The special occasions, such as birthdays and Christmas, are really important to children. One way of keeping in touch with them is to remember all these occasions by sending them gifts if you aren't allowed to be physically present. If you are allowed to be present, then it would be a disaster not to go. Therefore, make sure your schedule is clear when your child is featuring in a school play, and save the date on your calendar.

Maintain Cordial Relationships with the Supervisor

If you are only allowed supervised visitations, then it's possible that you may project your anger at the supervisor. However, that may only make the rest of your visits untenable. Whether the supervisor is a caregiver, the other parent, or another court-appointed adult, do your best to maintain a cordial relationship with them.

First of all, this is necessary for your children. You aren't likely to make good use of your limited time with them if you are angry. In fact, your anger may even drive them away. Secondly, acts of anger may work against you if you ever decide to appeal your restricted access.

You may need support, for example via counseling, to help you accept and benefit from your reduced role in your child's life. As for the legal side of things, hire a family lawyer to help you appeal your case and get more involved in your child's life. To learn more, contact a company like Rute Law